Sumerian Love Poem


Bridegroom, dear to my heart
Goodly is your beauty
Honeysweet,
Lion, dear to my heart
Goodly is your beauty
Honeysweet,
You have captivated me,
Let me stand tremblingly before you.
Bridegroom, I would be taken by you to the bedchamber
you have captivated me,
let me stand tremblingly before you.
Lion, I would be taken by you to the bedchamber.
Bridegroom, let me caress you,
My precious caress is more savory than honey,
in the bedchamber, honey-filled
let me enjoy your goodly beauty,
Lion, let me caress you,
My precious caress is more savory than honey.
Bridegroom, you have taken your pleasure of me,
Tell my mother, she will give you delicacies,
My father, he will give you gifts.
Your spirit, I know where to cheer your spirit,
Bridegroom, sleep in our house until dawn,
Your heart, I know where to gladden your heart,
Lion, sleep in our house until dawn.
You, because you love me
Give me pray of your caress,
My lord god, my lord protector,
My Shu-Sin who gladdens Enlil’s heart
give my pray of your caress
Your place goodly as honey
pray lay your hand on it
bring your hand over like a gishban-garment
cup your hand over it like a gishban-sikin-garment.

- (2050 b.c.e.?)